Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Snow Day

Um, yeah. Sure looks like a "Snow Day", doesn't it? The phone calls from the District started at 6am (!!) to tell us not to bring Lil to school today. Um, yeah, sure. She's already *at* school, thanks. Note to District: take homeschool kids off phone list! I'm sure it's snowing somewhere. Just not here.

A "Snow Day" is good, though. It clears up our day for other things. No speech therapy today. So we'll go to the library instead. What do we do there? Read books, you say? Nay, say I. This is the library of the new millennium. Where kids play computer games. Most of which don't work, because the librarians do not understand new millennium networks. (Hey, Mark, want to come fix their computers for them?) But because they're not our games, they must be better, right?

We also need to fax in a gazillion forms to...... Virtual Academy. A "cyber school". Lil is more than done with my lame attempts to explain place value and multiplication. Time for some computer-based intervention. Lil is actually really excited about it. She also did really well on the math assessment yesterday. So here's hoping they accept her for enrollment and that I'm not making a drastic mistake changing curricula mid-year.


4 comments:

Ginny Axtell said...

Your "day" looks like our gray day here. Kind of reminds me of Sacramento in January; foggy and kind of drizzly. I think it's actually a little colder here than in Sacramento which surprised me! There are more nights of temps in the 30's here than there were there. I thought I was in the land of "cacti and palms."

When I took a test for the Harcourt Brace scoring, I totally bypassed the math. I was good on what I had when I had it, but it was so limited and so behind the current "curve." It's great that there are other opptys for kids now.

Unknown said...

Hey Kristin, I was just noticing that Johns Hopkins CTY has distance learning for grade school levels. I do not know how the pricing works out, however. Brian is going to one of their summer programs. Do you have an active homeschooling association there ?

Anonymous said...

wow, lilli is learning place values and multiplication??? ffax cty is teaching adding and subtracting to its first graders, so you are ahead of the game! thx for pics, love to see you digs, too bad about non-snow! we're getting some non-snow tomorrow, will try to send pics! :o)

Kristin said...

Mom - it did finally start snowing here last night, so that by this morning we had a couple inches on the ground. Lilli had fun sledding and throwing snowballs. Michael only lasted about 15 minutes before coming in for hot chocolate. It was overcast all day, and now we have more freezing rain/snow pouring down.

Laura - Unfortunately the homeschoolers here seem to be resistant to organization. We attended a homeschool co-op for a while, but then it fizzled. Lilli is currently enrolled in a public charter school, but there aren't many activities for kids this age, and they don't facilitate any social get-togethers. Our teacher also doesn't really help me figure out how to actually teach effectively. And I don't have the time to spend 5 to 10 hours a week planning lessons. Hence our switch to CAVA-K12.

Judi - Multiplication and division are both introduced in first grade on a conceptual basis with the curriculum we've been using. They don't expect the kids to memorize math facts, though. Place value to a hundred has come up in one of Lil's computer games, so I taught that to her. It has also really helped her to conceptualize quantities greater than twenty. So now she really understands why "97" is more than "62". Lilli has the "Reader Rabbit" computer games, and they are really great for math skills. "Jump Start" is another good game set.