Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Budget Decor

The hushed tones of the Interior Decorator were almost reverent as she described the offerings of her shop...custom measurements and window treatments, assistance in arranging furniture if you bought from her, etc. I had wandered in idly as I thought it was a home accessory shop and I always enjoy browsing for ideas. As the saying goes, "if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it." Sure enough, when I admired a sample of custom draperies and she quoted a price of $1000 per window, I clutched my purse even more tightly and departed hastily.

I've never spent a lot on window treatments. I've made curtains out of burlap, muslin, and even sheets. Happily, online shopping has made it easier to find great fabrics for great prices. For instance, I first saw a Waverly fabric I liked for the kitchen at $16.99/yd. After Googling the pattern, I snagged it for $7.99/yd. Another company I liked was selling its website and offered a 70% discount. There I grabbed fabric for my office and a guest room. I splurged a little on the dining room because that's my Blue Dog room and I wanted something nifty and contemporary.

Saturday I made my biggest score yet. We have a 3-windowed nook in the Master Bedroom that is perfect for Ralph's desk. There he can study his Spanish and listen to Rush and Laura out of my hearing range. I needed 13 yds. of fabric and wanted to coordinate it with lamps left over from a former life. At Hancock's I found an 8-yd Waverly remnant for $3.60/yd (formerly $13.99/yd). They also had 5 yds. left on a roll and sold it for the same price.

I'm sure it would feel luxurious if I could walk into a shop and say, "I'll take this, and this, and that," but it probably wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

I promise...if my stock-picking expertise ever matches my success in finding fabric deals, I'll send everyone a year's supply of Godiva chocolates!

(Here's the "Before"; stay tuned for the "After").

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

looking forward to see "after," you have a way with fabric...and words... :o)