Sunday, March 2, 2008

Back in Romania

Well if anyone thinks travel is glamorous, this sucks. I was up half of last night due to jet lag, I felt like I had been hit by a truck.

I toured Bucharest today with Andreea, the daughter of one of my friends from the refinery. She is a college student there. She talked non-stop in perfect english that she said she learned from Cartoon Network. We ate at the Hard Rock Cafe, which she was very excited about. We saw the Parliament Building, which was built by Ceaucescu and is about the size of the Pentagon. Strangely, even though Ceaucescu was a horrible person and was overthrown by the people, you can still buy buttons that have his picture.

March 8 is International Women's Day, a very big day here. During March 1-8, women are given flowers and they sell many charms. Andreea gave me a chimney sweep, it looks like a snow man with a ladder, but it is a very big good luck charm here.

In the summer here where I am staying, in Mamaia, the parking lots are full of Ferraris, Jaguars, Bentleys, and Rolls Royces. Even in Bucharest, you see many fancy cars. That is probably the leftovers of Communism, where there was a rich elite.

Tomorrow, I start a 3-week meeting, we have a lot of pressure to solve a big problem for the refinery. The president of my company is coming tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ginny Axtell said...

Glad you had a safe trip, but "jet lag" is no fun. The worst I've ever experienced was when we returned from Hong Kong to CA and arrived before we left! Hope your "chimney sweep snowman charm" will bring you great luck!

Diane said...

A chimney sweep snowman? You know what he brought? SNOW IN DALLAS TODAY!