Sunday, March 2, 2008

Events of the Week

 
 

This "Charlie Brown" tree in my Zen garden is actually a Desert Willow, species name "Bubba." It is supposed to produce orchid-type flowers in the spring. The lady who sold it to us last fall instructed us to water it when we planted it and then never water it again. Rainfall was scarce in the fall, and I watched mournfully as leaf after leaf turned brown, but I steadfastly keep my hand off the nozzle. (I remember the sad effects of over-watering plants in Sacramento). I was almost resigned to replacing it, but hope springs eternal, and after a week of 80-ish temps, the first new leaves have sprouted. Bubba lives!

That's my exciting "event of the week." Ralph is looking forward to the important Texas primary on March 4 when he plans to vote for Ron Paul. Diane, you will be proud!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kristin said...

It's so much fun to see things bud out in the Spring. The leaves are starting on my liquidamber trees right now. Here's hoping for lots more vertical growth this year (and more shade!).